RMCC’S SUPERSTAR SIDEKICKS
Like Batman and Robin, or Han Solo and Chewbacca, we all benefit from having an ally by our side to lend a helping hand, and cheer us on when we succeed.
This is the important role our volunteer mentors play. Once a week they transform into the trusty sidekicks of our RMCC kids. They provide educational assistance, help run life skills workshops, and act as a friend and positive role model.
Their energy, encouragement and loyalty are why RMCC kids love our programs.
WHAT’S THE BEST PART OF BEING A MENTOR?
TO THE KIDS I THINK WHAT’S MOST IMPORTANT IS HAVING THAT SOCIAL NETWORK AND A RELATIONSHIP WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN GUIDE THEM THROUGH THE CHALLENGES THEY’RE FACING.
Sidekicks Senior mentor
A memorable moment was when a student felt enough trust in me to talk about a struggle they were having at school. When you’re someone a person can go to for help it’s a really special feeling.
Sidekicks Junior mentor
Interested in becoming a mentor?
Who can become a mentor?
Anyone with these skills!
- Fluent English with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A motivated self-starter
- Passionate about supporting children and youth from refugee and migrant backgrounds
What commitment does it involve?
- Volunteering between 2pm and 5pm on your chosen program day for a minimum period of two school terms (six months)
- Attending a one-hour team meeting every two months, outside of program hours
- Current volunteer Working With Children Check, or willingness to obtain one
- Current National Police Check, or willingness to obtain one
What’s in it for me?
- In-house training provided by RMCC
- Access to professional and personal development webinars provided by IAG
- A formal reference following the successful completion of the volunteering program
- The satisfaction of making a profound difference in the lives of children, and helping them thrive in their new life
How would you describe being a mentor, in one word?
We’ll let our mentors tell you themselves!
Click here to learn if we’re currently recruiting volunteer mentors.